Ulrico Hoepli (Johannes Ulrich Höpli)
Tuttwil (Switzerland) 1847-Milan 1935. A publisher from a Swiss peasant family in the Canton of Thurgau. In 1870, by correspondence, he took over the Laengner bookshop in the Galleria De Cristofori, near the cathedral in Milan, and moved to the city. In 1871 he set up the Hoepli publishing company. Working with the Istituto Tecnico Superiore (later Politecnico University) and other scientific institutions in Milan, he responded to the scarcity of Italian scientific and technical books by creating slim manuals to meet increasing demand.