The coat of arms of Milan
“Red cross on an argent field” (heraldic description of the crest of the City of Milan)
The coat of arms of the City of Milan consists of a white or silver shield, on which is superimposed a red cross.
The shield is surmounted by a golden crown. It is flanked by a branch of laurel and one of oak, bound together by a tricolour ribbon.
It was created in the early eleventh century by combining the emblem of nobility (red) with that of the people (white).
In the Declaration of Pontida of 1167, a number of northern Italian cities constituted the Lombard League to fight the Emperor and gain independence. The League adopted the emblem of Milan as its symbol.
The emblem was hoisted on the Carroccio at the victorious battle of Legnano in 1176.
From that moment on, the emblem of Milan became a symbol of authority and autonomy, and it was adopted by many towns in northern Italy.
During the Napoleonic era and under the Habsburgs, the coat of arms of Milan was placed alongside other symbols.
In 1859, the Province of Milan adopted it as the basis for its own coat of arms, but then modified it and ultimately adopted its current symbol in 1992.
In the 1930s, the coat of arms acquired new features.
It was recently given a new graphic form and in 2008 it acquired a complementary variation for promotional purposes.